Expanding Physiotherapy for Seniors and Patients
In 2013, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care announced an increase in access to high-quality physiotherapy, exercise and falls prevention classes for more than 200,000 additional seniors and patients. The Waterloo Wellington LHIN is working closely with the ministry’s teams on programs in each of the five focus areas:
- Exercise and falls prevention classes for seniors in community settings. With over 148 locations across Waterloo Wellington offering classes, in a variety of settings, classes are helping over 7,000 seniors stay active, healthy and able to live in their own homes longer. To find a class near you, in Waterloo Region call 519-772-8787, or for Guelph-Wellington, call 519-323-2330.
- One-on-one physiotherapy for all long-term care residents with assessed need (accessed and provided directly through long-term care homes).
- In-home physiotherapy for seniors and people with mobility issues to clear current wait lists, offered through the Waterloo Wellington CCAC. Additional information is available on their website at http://healthcareathome.ca/ww/en/Getting-Care/Getting-Care-at-Home/Home-Care-Services.
- Clinic-based physiotherapy services for seniors and eligible patients. Publicly-funded physiotherapy clinics are listed on the Ministry of Health’s website, with new ones added on an ongoing basis as they are approved.
- Integration of physiotherapy into family health care settings. In Waterloo Wellington, the initial focus of this initiative is in Aboriginal Health Access Centres (AHACs), Community Health Centres (CHCs), Family Health Teams (FHTs), and Nurse Practitioner Led Clinics (NPLCs). For more information, please contact the Waterloo Wellington LHIN, at email@example.com or 519-650-4472.
Expanding physiotherapy helps ensure seniors and their families have access to quality services and supports to lead healthy and independent lives. The WWLHIN is committed to consulting with patients, health care partners and service providers to ensure residents in Waterloo Wellington benefit from these improvements.
Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Information and Announcements